Happy New Year to you. Two things for this first full week of the year:
- Today, I'm going to share with you three kinds of goals that are helpful to set in the new year.
- And as we head into the weekend, I'm going to share with you an exclusive guest post from none other than Jim Burke, a career ELA educator whose retrospective on his work to date is must-read material for all of us who hope to work full and fruitful careers in education.
So let's talk about those three kinds of goals. For the best experience, watch the video below. For a quicker one, just take a look at the three types of goals I'm thinking about this January.
(Not seeing a video? Click here.)
These are three goals I find helpful this time of year.
- Year Goal (Deadline: December 31, 2024): This is a longer-term goal that can be either personal or professional. At this point of my life, I prefer personal to professional goals. These goals can be meaningful achievements or experiences that you genuinely desire, not necessarily grand accomplishments.
- May Goal (Deadline: End of the School Year): The May goal is related to your role as an educator but should be something you have control over. Avoid goals tied to standardized test outcomes and focus instead on goals that are within your influence.
- For example, setting goals to have students read a certain number of articles or engage in a specific number of debates.
- First Week of School in the New Year Goal (Deadline: Early January): This goal is designed to leverage the fresh start of the new year with students. It's an opportunity to reintroduce or reinforce important concepts and habits as students return from the holiday break. Consider what you want students to focus on in the first week of the new year.
So, have you got any of these three kinds of goals, colleague? Please share in the comments below.
Best to you and yours in the new year,
P.S. As I release the Principles of Learning course videos this month, I'm leaving enrollment on the course open for any interested participants. If you're game for some good old fashioned DSJ PD to start out the new year, consider enrolling in the inagural cohort today.