- Husband and father who refuses to sacrifice family on the altar of professional success.
- Bestselling author of The Will to Learn and These 6 Things — beloved by teachers in dozens of countries.
- Online PD developer on student motivation, teacher credibility, classroom management, and time management.
- Keynote speaker at conferences and events. Spoken in over 45 states and internationally.
- Popular writer on literacy, motivation, and the inner work of teaching; 50,000+ monthly readers.
- Award-winning educator who leads workshops for teachers around the world.
Below, I'll give you some of the details folks often want when they visit this page. But first, let me plainly state why this site exists.
I believe that schools exist to promote the long-term flourishing of young people, and that schools do this best when their teachers flourish, too. I make this site, word by word, in an effort to equip and encourage teachers and leaders toward this.
Long-term flourishing isn't a fuzzword to me. It's rooted in the science of Martin Seligman's PERMA framework. What we want are faculties and leadership teams filled with adults who are experiencing:
- Relationships, rich in support and nourishment, in school and out;
- Engagement with their work;
- Meaning in their work and life;
- Achievement, particularly in their professional work; and
- Positive emotion (optimism, gratitude, peace, pleasure, satisfaction, inspiration, curiosity, joy)
When these describe the experience of adults in a school building, momentum shifts. The work gets simpler, less needlessly complicated. The meetings get productive, less perfunctory. Curriculum gets stronger and instruction improves. Expertise develops.
And with these, student achievement follows.
That is what my work as a writer and professional development partner is toward.
Get weekly, brief blog posts, straight in your inbox + the first chapter of my book These 6 Things
Here's what I provide through my weekly blog articles:
- Proven ways to get better as a teacher, leader, and person — and saner, too.
- Research-based ideas for increasing your impact.
- Generous portions of inspiration, humor, and joy.
And my book has helped teachers and teams around the world.
Subscribe to the newsletter and get Chapter 1 by signing up below.