Below, I'll give you some of the details folks often want when they visit this page. But first, let me plainly state why this site exists.
I believe that schools exist to promote the long-term flourishing of young people, and that schools do this best when their teachers flourish, too. I make this site, word by word, in an effort to equip and encourage teachers and leaders toward this.
Long-term flourishing isn't a fuzzy buzzy to me. It's rooted in the science of Marty Seligman's PERMA framework. What we want are faculties and leadership teams filled with adults who are:
- Achieving, in school and out
- Robustly connected to a deep sense of Meaning, in school and out
- Invested in supportive Relationships, in school and out
- Engaged in their work
- Frequently experiencing Positive emotion (optimism, gratitude, peace, pleasure, satisfaction, inspiration, curiosity)
When these are the descriptors of the adults in a school building, crazy things starts to happen. The work gets simpler, not more complex. The meetings are productive, not perfunctory. Curriculum gains strength and loses scripts.
And, oh yeah: people like coming to work, and kids like coming to school.
- Husband and father who refuses to sacrifice family on the altar of professional success.
- Bestselling author of These 6 Things.
- Keynote speaker at conferences and events.
- Popular writer on teaching, literacy, and character with 35,000+ monthly readers.
- Award-winning educator who leads workshops for teachers around the country.
Get weekly, brief blog posts, straight in your inbox
Here's what I provide through my blog:
- Proven ways to get better as a teacher, leader, and person — and saner, too.
- Research-based ideas for increasing your impact.
- Healthy doses of inspiration, humor, and joy.